It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:24 am

Machine Still Down 

Post Machine Still Down
Ok, well guys I am a bit baffled. My machine is still down. I am gonna list a brief list of what has happened. Any ideas are welcomed.

A while back, I bought COH and I wanted to start playing it. When I started the tutorial video, I started artifacting all over the place. I researched for a while and found that my grafx card was getting much hotter than ever before. Thats why it was artifacting. So I have adjusted settings with no success. I then opened my case to make sure that the card was not covered in dust or anything. It was not. So I then updated all of my mb and video drivers. Nothing changed. I then decided to try and change the thermal paste on my grafx gpu. I opened my case and went to look for a flashlight and while I was out of the room, my computer shutoff. When I came back in, I pushed the power for it to come on. It started up and almost got to windows and then it blue-screened. I pushed power one more time and from that point on until now, it does nothing when I push the power button. If I unplug the machine and let all the lights on the board go dead and then plug it it and hit power, the lights are on and a fan slightly flinches, but nothing happens. After that nothing does anything unless I unplug and let it power down, and then do the same.

I removed just about everything in the box except the cpu, board, etc. It would still not power on. So I took out the psu and opened another computer and just sat it on top and plugged it in. It has the same behavior in the other computer, so I thought it had to be a bad psu. I sent it back and got a new one. I installed everything back in last night with the new psu. When I hit power, it did the exact same thing.

I am SO pissed and baffled. I am wondering if it is my board? And did the problem just fry a brand new psu? I looked over it for a while but cannot think what could be the culprit. When I plug everything in, I see the lights on the board. It just wont startup.

My parts are all very expensive, so replacing pieces as a guess is not really an option.

Here are my parts:

mb: DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR
cpu: AMD 64 x2 4400+
cpu cooler: thermalright xp-90 w/arctic silver
ram: 2GB Ocz EL VX DDR500
grafx: Asus 7800GTX 256mb
hd: Hitachi 2x160GB RAID 0
psu: OCZ 600w GamerXtreme
sound: Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
case: Antec P180 (4x120mm fans)

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:17 am

Did you reset the CMOS? You should be able to do this via a Battery/Jumper.

Does your Motherboard come with a trouble shooting guide. Like my mobo, has a series of lights on it that when there in a certain order or flashing in a certain way it means different things.

So you saying your PC wont turn on at all, even with the new PSU?

Maybe its a grounding isssue? I have no Idea what to tell you other than if you have another computer test all of the components (ram, vid card, hd, sound card, etc) to see if any of those are faulty.

TBH, I think its probably your MOBO. If it was just the PSU it would have worked right then, so unless they sent you a shit PSU then something else is wrong.

Good luck with it and keep us updated.

Edit: Try starting the computer with just the bare essentials. Mobo, HDD, Vid Card, Ram. Thats it. Leave the optical drive out, the sound card out, any nic card. Cuz anyone of those could be fucked and causing your comp to be retarded. Hopefully its something cheap

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:40 pm

Yeh. I thought of the grounding or whatever, but I dont know why it started all of a sudden, plus I tried the old psu setting on a diff computer and it didnt work there either.

I pray to god its not my cpu, video, or mb. Those are expensive on mine.

With the old psu, I took out everything just to see if it would switch on, but it didnt. It is doing the same now. When I click the power button, nothing happens. The fans do not spin up or there is no sound. Maybe there is a weird loose connection or something, but I cannot find it. I am just going crazy over this shit!

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:52 pm

I dunno dude. If you can't figure it out maybe you should take it to a computer shop and have them have a look at it.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:30 pm

The equipment has warranties don't they. Like if it is a CPU, Mem,Mobo, Vid card. I know it would take a while but couldn't you RMA the faulty component?

Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:31 pm

I figured out that if I unplug the 4pin power cable from psu to the mb, it powers up. I have no idea why, but it does. Now, it runs, but I never get video. It never hits POST. I dont get beeps because I dont have a case speaker. But, my monitor never gets a signal.

My mb has 5 different ports to get power from and I am supposed to use them all. If I pug in this 4pin one, it wont startup. When I unplug, it turns everything on, but the display never turns on. So, I am looking at a problem with the mb or maybe even the grafx card.

I am researching the warranty, but somehow I doubt they are covered.

More to come hopefully soon.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:03 pm

sorry to hear COH overheated your system top )= anyway i think the reason you're not getting video is your cpu isnt powering on fully, because the 4 pin connector that you didnt connect isnt benefitting your cpu, making it run at a very low power saving speed. (my video card does this when i dont plug in its aux power). Whats the wattage of your new psu? I think a higher level psu may be needed...

Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:30 pm

I installed the new psu, but same problem. I have a new board coming Tuesday.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:34 pm

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:23 pm

new = ocz gamerxtreme 600w

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:06 am